It has been a long time since I posted here, neglecting it for other things. But I have been thinking about it. It is probably time to post some analysis. Requirements analysis first:
I can think of three, and would like to impose a fourth, but don’t want to be too greedy.
1. No death. A person should not experience death and should experience live beyond the normal lifespan of a human being, indeed forever.
2. Not a copy. The immortal person should not just be a copy of the original, but the original person, in some proveable way.
3. Not just a maintenance of the human body. Bodies cannot survive forever. Impossible.
And meat is not a good medium for anything. Transference of the person, the actual person into another medium is essential. Computers with rigorous backup facilities are the obvious answer.
4. Desirable if not literally a requirement. De-aging. The essence of a person is not in the physical body, and should not be in the Virtual Reality body either. So it should be possible to age that physical representation down to any age, without changing the memories, essence or consciousness of that person.
Elsewhere I have written why I think this is possible, using both the parallel processor and sympathic string metaphors. These can be more than metaphors. Here are some design
1. A silicon or other semiconductor processing and memory unit can be configured as a neural network using known methods. Using sensor suits to cover the body and video cameras for
face and other body movements an estimate of both inputs and outputs for a person can be generated and used to train the neural network, which can at some time be used as a more intimate connection to a person by controlling visual and auditory stimulus and using a piezoelectric sensor/effector suit to not only sense body movements but feed them back to the user, putting the silicon processor completely in parallel with the biological one, which can then be taken offline.
2. A neural network in a computer can be stimulated into a true sympathetic resonator which captures the same person, just as sympathetic strings on a musical instrument capture the same sound, become part of the same sound, and can even replace it if the original strings are damped. To do this one need only sense the electromagnetic field generated by brain activity in the biological person and have that activity induced then reinforced by low power transceivers around the brain. Again the neural network will be a part of the person, whose biological processor can then be taken offline.
Some notes on testing, non-destructive testing. A person can be put into a coma, allowing the silicon processor to take over. This can be done slowly, while the biological process talks, uttering a long monologue. As the chemicals induce the coma, the monologue should continue. Then the biological process can be put back online and the results of this experiment examined.
This is a sketch of a true engineering analysis which should be done. What I have sketched here can be expanded, then work can begin to implement and test it. I can see almost infinite merit in trying it and few dangers.